If you’re the type of person that would prefer an action-packed trip over a relaxing stay at a luxury hotel, this is the ideal bucket list for you! We rounded up the best getaways that each include plenty of heart-pounding activities, stunning locations, unique opportunities, and once-in-a-lifetime surprises. If you need some ideas for your next vacation, check out these locations and our suggestions for enjoying everything each region has to offer. Enjoy!
REI Adventures has one tip for anyone thinking of heading to Mexico: skip the beach resort. Instead, join a guided adventure tour that will lead you through the diverse landscape of the country, from the clear blue waters of the Sea of Cortez to the breathtaking Sierra Cacachilas Mountains. This 6-day trip is rated as “Easy Active,” which means that most people will have no trouble taking part in all of the activities the tour has to offer. The highlights of this specific tour include:
- Kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, and snorkeling.
- Opportunities for spotting whale sharks and sea lions.
- A stay at an exclusive beach camp.
- Daily yoga sessions on the beach.
- Plenty of optional hikes.
- A visit to a local organic ranch where you can learn how to make goat cheese.
If you’d prefer to go on a trip by yourself or with a few of your loved ones, the 12-day “Garden Route” makes for an unforgettable adventure. Your journey will begin in Cape Town, where you can take in the bustling city, rich culture, and amazing dining options. From there, you’ll hop into your rental car and cruise along the road as you enjoy the picturesque landscapes along the way. Some of the highlights of this vacation include:
- Exploring the dramatic Cango Caves.
- Paying a visit to the Cango Wildlife Ranch.
- Seeing an elephant sanctuary.
- Stopping by the variety of ostrich farms in Oudtshoorn.
- Going on a safari experience with Shamwari Game Reserve.
- Enjoying the number of festivals and golf courses in Knysna.
- Hiking through the Tsitsikamma Forest.
This 15-day trip begins as soon as you climb aboard the MS Midnatsol (Midnight Sun) in Lisbon, Portugal. During this lovely cruise, you will get the chance to explore numerous Atlantic islands, visit UNESCO World Heritage sites, soak in the region’s rich history, and enjoy plenty of great food and fun activities. This voyage features numerous highlights, including:
- Fabulous hiking treks.
- Visits to hidden beaches and volcanic islands.
- Tours of the Azores and the Canary Islands.
- A diverse mix of cities, villages, and time spent in nature.
- The beautiful Lagoa das Sete Cidades, which is considered one of the Seven Natural
- Wonders of Portugal.
- A trip to “the pearl of the Atlantic,” Madeira.
- Cruising along the Tejo River.
Flying Kiwi’s Ultimate Explorer Tour may not be the cheapest option for exploring New Zealand, but it’s definitely the best pick for adventurous types! This 28-day guided tour begins in the city of Christchurch, and then your expert tour guides will lead you to all of the most outstanding attractions in the region while providing plenty of opportunities and activities for thrill-seekers. Some of the highlights on the itinerary include:
- Visits to New Zealand’s top 5 national parks.
- Swimming with dolphins.
- Biking along New Zealand’s famous cycling trails.
- Glacier hiking.
- Canoeing, kayaking, and sailing.
- A 2-day stay in Queenstown.
- A guided boat tour of Milford Sound.
Ushuaia is considered to be the southernmost city in the world, and this is where you’ll begin your Antarctic adventure with Polar Latitudes. On the Antarctica Whale Science Expedition, you will have the opportunity to see whales, assist scientists with a variety of tests and experiments, take a dip in the warm waters near Deception Island, and explore a region of the world that few people actually get to experience. This once-in-a-lifetime cruise features:
- Chances to see orcas, humpback whales, elephant seals, dolphins, and penguins.
- Exploration of the South Shetland Islands.
- The ability to collaborate with researchers from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI).
- Visits to active scientific bases such as Poland’s Arctowski or Ukraine’s Vernadskiy.
- Trips to historic bases, like U.K.’s Port Lockroy or Wordie House.
Did you know that you don’t have to sacrifice your communication needs in order to satisfy your sense of adventure? Instead of paying for expensive roaming fees and international calls, you can choose a global SIM card from BNESIM for an affordable and reliable solution. With high-quality coverage in over 170 countries, you can feel free to call, text, and use high-speed internet anywhere your next adventure takes you. Click here to see how easy it is to get started and save up to 95% on your next phone bill when you travel abroad!